Search South Mountain Community College Website
SMCC Cougar facebook South Mountain Community College twitter SMCC youtube Videos

Frequently Asked Questions

I’m new to college, how do I begin?

Congratulations on your decision to attend South Mountain Community College.

Here are the four steps you need to take to register for classes!

Can I enroll if I am under the age of 18?

Admission to South Mountain Community College may be granted to any person under the age of 18 who achieves any one of the following:

• A composite score of 93 or more on the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT).

• A composite score of 930 or more on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT).

• A composite score of 22 or more on the American College Test (ACT).

• A passing score on the relevant portions of the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards test (AIMS SCIENCE)

• A passing score on the relevant portions of the Arizona’s Measurement Of Education Readiness To Information Teaching (AZMERIT) test.

• The completion of a college placement test designated by the community college district that indicates the student is at the appropriate college level for the course.

• Graduation from a private or public high school or possession of a high school certificate of equivalency.

Required Admissions Documents:

Students under the age of 18 requesting admission to South Mountain Community College must submit the following documents:

  • A completed Student Admission Application.
  • Request for Admission for Students Under the Age of 18.
  • A completed Under 18 Financial Responsibility Form. English version. Spanish Version.
  • Unofficial High School Transcript -including courses, grades, courses in progress, AIMS test scores.
  • Letter from the student stating reason(s) for enrollment.
  • Placement test scores for placement in English, reading or mathematics courses (ASSET, COMPASS, CELSA, ACCUPLACER). Check the Schedule of Classes or call (602) 243-8188 for assessment times.
  • Original copy of ACT, PSAT, SAT or AIMS test scores.

How can I request a transcript?

There are four convenient ways to request an official or unofficial copy of your SMCC Transcripts:

1. Online at:

2. U.S. Mail: Please complete the Academic Transcript Request Form and mail the form along with payment to:

South Mountain Community College
Enrollment Services
7050 S. 24th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85042-5806

3.FAX: Please complete the Academic Transcript Request Form and fax it to:

SMCC Transcripts 602-243-8199

4.In person at the Enrollment Services Office.

When requesting transcripts (whether online, U.S. mail, FAX or in person) please have the following information ready:

• Student ID Number • Current name, address and telephone number • Former names used while attending SMCC • Date of birth • Complete address of where you would like the transcript sent • SIGNATURE, is required to process your request!

Do I have to get a student ID and parking decal?

It is strongly recommended that each student obtain a student ID card. A picture ID is required to use the various resource services available to students such as the Library, Fitness Center, Computer Commons, Computer Labs and Student Activities.

A FREE photo ID card can be obtained at the Registration and Records counter located in the Student Enrollment Services building at the main campus and also at the Guadalupe Center.

How do I apply for graduation?

Step 1: Prior to Applying for Graduation You MUST Request Official Transcripts and Submit for Evaluation

Step 2: Apply for Graduation

Step 3: Complete the Graduation Survey

Step 4: Pay Fees

Step 5: Submit Your Application

To look at the complete list including details, please visit our graduation website.

I’ve lived in Arizona for more than a year but I’m being charged out of state fees, what do I do?

The default for new students is set to “Out-of-State” so tuition and fees will be calculated accordingly. In order to change your status you will need to provide documentation to the Enrollment Services Office. See Acceptable Documents for a comprehensive list. Additional information can be found in AR 2.2.2 [Section 3.C.iv].

I am an international student, how can I study at South Mountain Community College?

The following is a check list to make sure you have submitted all the required documents. Please see the admissions page for detailed information on each requirement.

  • International Student Application Form
  • TOEFL or IELTS Score Report
  • High School and/or College Transcripts (Note: If these documents are not issued in English, then a certified word-for-word translation must also be submitted.)
  • Financial Guarantee
  • Copy of your Passport

Additional requirements if you are applying from within the United States.

  • Photocopies of all previous I-20s
  • A photocopy of the I-94 card in your passport.
  • A photocopy of the visa page in your passport.
  • An official transcript sent directly from the educational institution to SMCC.
  • SMCC Transfer form must be filled out by International Student Advisor at current institution.

How can I get an enrollment verification?

Follow these easy steps:

  1. Log onto
  2. Enter your student (MEID) logon and password
  3. Click on the Enrollment Verification Link, and print!

Real-time information is now available in your Student Center for:

  • Student Loan Information
  • Student Loan Deferments
  • Enrollment Verification
  • Viewing Enrollment History

How long do I have to drop a class to receive a refund?

Students who officially withdraw from credit classes (in fall, spring, or summer) within the withdrawal deadline listed below will receive a 100% refund for tuition, class and registration processing fees. Deadlines that fall on a weekend or a college holiday will advance to the next college work day except for classes 1-9 calendar days in length or as specified by the college. Withdrawal deadlines for a 100% refund will be printed on the student invoice. Calendar days include weekdays and weekends. Refer to individual colleges for withdrawal and appeal processes.

Length of ClassCalendar Days Official Withdrawal Deadlines for 100% Refund % of refund
1-9 Prior to the class start date 100%
10-19 1 Calendar day including the class start date 100%
20-29 2 Calendar days including the class start date 100%
30-39 3 Calendar days including the class start date 100%
40-49 4 Calendar days including the class start date 100%
50-59 5 Calendar days including the class start date 100%
60-69 6 Calendar days including the class start date 100%
70+ 7 Calendar days including the class start date 100%

How do I get my transcript sent to SMCC for evaluation?

  1. Contact previous schools attended and have them send official transcript directly to SMCC Registration and Records.
  2. Call the Registration and Records Office to check and see if transcripts have arrived.
  3. If the transcripts have arrived, request for transcript to be evaluated.
  4. After 2-4 weeks, check to see if the transcript have been evaluated in your Student Center.