I Will Graduate!
Graduation is a time to pay tribute to each member of the graduating class. You have left, and will continue to leave, an indelible legacy of achievement and a tradition of excellence for generations to come.
South Mountain Community College’s 2018 commencement ceremony took place on Thursday, May 10th, 2018 at Grand Canyon University Arena. Over 230 students, along with friends, family, faculty, and the administration came together to celebrate our students’ achievements. Of the students who participated in the ceremony, South Mountain Community College had the honor of recognizing 108 students who completed an Associates degree with a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
Though the Spring 2018 ceremony has passed, you are welcome to join us for Spring 2019.
Your award, diploma, and photos
|Award||Enrollment Services has mailed our all diplomas for eligible Fall 2018 Graduates.
Spring 2019 application will be reviewed beginning May 13, 2019 after all final grades have posted.
|Diploma||Only the diploma covers are issued at Commencement.
Diplomas will be mailed once all graduation applications have been reviewed.
Diplomas will be printed with your official name on record, and will be mailed to the address listed in your Student Center. Be sure to verify your information is correct.
|Graduation Photos||Download and share your graduation photos today with your friends and family! Click HERE.|
Are you eligible to graduate?
Students maintaining continuous enrollment at any public Arizona community college or university may graduate according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of initial enrollment or according to the requirements of any single catalog in effect during subsequent terms of continuous enrollment. Students may maintain continuous enrollment whether attending a single public community college or university in Arizona or transferring among public institutions in Arizona while pursuing their degrees.
General Graduation Requirements
All students are required to complete the degree and/or certificate requirements as approved by the MCCCD Governing Board. The college reserves the right to make necessary course and program changes in order to meet current educational standards. In addition, students must:
- Be credited, in the Office of Admissions and Records, with no fewer than 60-semester credit units in courses numbered 100 or above for the Associate in Arts degree, Associate in Science degree, Associate in Applied Science degree, Associate in Business degree, and/or Associate in General Studies degree.
- Have earned a minimum of 12-semester credit units toward the degree or certificate at the college granting the degree or certificate. In cases where the certificate requires fewer than 12 credit units, a minimum of six credit units must be completed at the college awarding the certificate.
- Have filed an application for graduation for the degree and/or certificate with the Office of Admissions and Records by the date determined by the college.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 at the college granting the degree
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 in all courses used to fulfill degree requirements. Some specific programs have higher-grade requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of these program requirements.
- Have removed, thirty (30) days after the anticipated graduation date, all deficiencies on the record to use those courses toward program completion
- Have removed any indebtedness to any MCCCD college/center
If you can answer all statements with a YES – you qualify for Graduation.
Certificates / Degrees
The Maricopa Community Colleges offer Associate Degree, Certificate of Completion, and Academic Certificate program to our students. These certificates and degrees are as follows:
- Academic Certificate
- Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC-A, AGEC-B, AGEC-S)
- Associate in Arts
- Associate in Science
- Associate in Business
- Associate in General Studies
- Associate in Applied Science (Career Program Specified)
- Certificate of Completion (Career Program Specified)
All candidates for a degree and/or certificate must complete the General Graduation Requirements as approved by the MCCCD Governing Board.
All students are urged to meet with a faculty advisor, program advisor, or academic advisor as soon as possible to determine which program meets their needs and to plan their course of study.
For more details and additional requirements and limitations please review the Catalog.
It’s Your Responsibility
Contact your advisor for specific questions about your program of study or graduation requirements.
Become a graduate
Your first step to graduation is becoming a student. We understand that first step can be overwhelming, that’s why the District has created the Student Organizer Sheet. You’ll find all the steps you need to complete before your first day of class. And remember, at any step you may contact a real person to help you through the process.
Students may apply for admission anytime throughout the year. Admission to the college does not guarantee entrance into a particular course or program of study.