SMCC Commencement Ceremony, Thursday, May 9, 2019
Graduation is a time to pay tribute to each member of the graduating class. You have left, and will continue to leave, an indelible legacy of achievement and a tradition of excellence for generations to come.
TICKETS ARE NEEDED FOR GUESTS – If you are a graduate walking in the ceremony, you do not need a ticket. But all invited guests need to have a ticket to enter the arena. All graduates automatically receive five tickets, and more are available upon request. (See below under “Your Cap and Gown”.)
The ceremony will begin at 7pm. Graduates need to arrive by 5:30pm.
The 2019 Keynote speaker is Corey Woods.
Please park in the Halo parking garage located off of N. 35th Avenue. You may walk from the garage, or a shuttle service will be available to bring guests to and from the garage. Handicapped access is available in front of the arena.
Your Cap and Gown
|When it’ll be ready||Now! You can pick up your cap and gown until May 7th, 2019.|
|What you’ll need||Your Photo ID, Student ID card or State ID/Driver’s License.|
|Where you’ll go||The SMCC Bookstore, located in the SS building next to the Cougar Cafe.|
|What you’ll get||You will receive:
Note: Additional tickets are available in-person through the Student Life and Leadership Office in the Student Union. For additional announcements, you can download and print your own: Cover and Inside
At the ceremony
|Venue Restrictions||Per GCU policy no balloons or noise makers will be allowed in the arena. This includes no cowbells, whistles or bull horns.|
|Accommodations||Graduates or guests needing assistance or other disability needs, please contact Catherine Pettet 602.243.8027 prior to May 9th for more information.|
|Photographer||A professional photographer will be a the GCU Arena. Two photos will be taken during the ceremony that will be available for purchase through Grad Images.|
|Diploma||Only the diploma covers are issued at Commencement. Actual diplomas will be mailed to the address in your Student Center after requirements have been verified. Please check your Student Center to verify and update your address. We expect to begin mailing out diplomas by mid-June.|
Are you eligible for graduation?
Students maintaining continuous enrollment at any public Arizona community college or university may graduate according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of initial enrollment or according to the requirements of any single catalog in effect during subsequent terms of continuous enrollment. Students may maintain continuous enrollment whether attending a single public community college or university in Arizona or transferring among public institutions in Arizona while pursuing their degrees.
General Graduation Requirements
All students are required to complete the degree and/or certificate requirements as approved by the MCCCD Governing Board. The college reserves the right to make necessary course and program changes in order to meet current educational standards. In addition, students must:
- Be credited, in the Office of Admissions and Records, with no fewer than 60-semester credit units in courses numbered 100 or above for the Associate in Arts degree, Associate in Science degree, Associate in Applied Science degree, Associate in Business degree, and/or Associate in General Studies degree.
- Have earned a minimum of 12-semester credit units toward the degree or certificate at the college granting the degree or certificate. In cases where the certificate requires fewer than 12 credit units, a minimum of six credit units must be completed at the college awarding the certificate.
- Have filed an application for graduation for the degree and/or certificate with the Office of Admissions and Records by the date determined by the college.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 at the college granting the degree
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 in all courses used to fulfill degree requirements. Some specific programs have higher-grade requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of these program requirements.
- Have removed, thirty (30) days after the anticipated graduation date, all deficiencies on the record to use those courses toward program completion
- Have removed any indebtedness to any MCCCD college/center
If you can answer all statements with a YES – you qualify for Graduation.
Certificates / Degrees
The Maricopa Community Colleges offer Associate Degree, Certificate of Completion, and Academic Certificate program to our students. These certificates and degrees are as follows:
- Academic Certificate
- Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC-A, AGEC-B, AGEC-S)
- Associate in Arts
- Associate in Science
- Associate in Business
- Associate in General Studies
- Associate in Applied Science (Career Program Specified)
- Certificate of Completion (Career Program Specified)
All candidates for a degree and/or certificate must complete the General Graduation Requirements as approved by the MCCCD Governing Board.
All students are urged to meet with a faculty advisor, program advisor, or academic advisor as soon as possible to determine which program meets their needs and to plan their course of study.
For more details and additional requirements and limitations please review the Catalog.
It’s Your Responsibility
Contact your advisor for specific questions about your program of study or graduation requirements.
Become a graduate
Your first step to graduation is becoming a student. We understand that first step can be overwhelming, that’s why the District has created the Student Organizer Sheet. You’ll find all the steps you need to complete before your first day of class. And remember, at any step you may contact a real person to help you through the process.
Students may apply for admission anytime throughout the year. Admission to the college does not guarantee entrance into a particular course or program of study.