Search South Mountain Community College Website
SMCC Cougar facebook South Mountain Community College twitter SMCC youtube Videos

International Education Pre-Arrival

Step 2

Your most recent TOEFL Score Report must be mailed from the TOEFL office directly to “SMCC International Education Programs” (student copies are not acceptable). Use our institutional code 4734. Admission to academic studies requires a TOEFL score of 500 for Paper Based, 173 Computer-Based (CBT) or 61 Internet Based (iBT). If you are applying for ESL courses (English as a Second Language), you must provide evidence of at least an intermediate command of English by way of one of the following criteria: a TOEFL score of 400 or 97 CBT, or six (6) years of English instruction as shown by the applicant’s school transcripts. We also accept an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall Band Score of 5.5 or better for academic studies, or STEP Pre-First Grade level to satisfy the minimum requirement for admission to an academic program and STEP Second Grade level for admission with ESL coursework. For information concerning dates and locations of the TOEFL examination in your country, contact the States Information Service at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate; or you may contact TOEFL by calling 1.877.863.3546 or faxing to 1.609.771.7500. IETS

Step 3

Submit official copies of secondary school records (transcripts) AND certificate or diploma, along with a certified English translation attached to the originals if they are not in English. Graduation from secondary school comparable to an American high school diploma is required. This is schooling required before admission to a university. School records (or transcripts) include courses completed, completion dates and value earned for each course. Official copies from the school include the official school seal or stamp. Frequently U.S. Embassies or Consulates refer applicants to certified translators. All documents must be originals (not photocopies), preferably mailed to SMCC by the school, educational institution or Ministry of Education.

Step 4

Submit Evidence of Financial Support form (included in the International Student Application) showing that you have a minimum of $20,150 per year to cover tuition and living expenses. A letter from the bank must be included showing that the sponsor or the student (if self-sufficient) has sufficient funds on deposit. A monthly bank statement CANNOT be used. The bank letter must be on official letterhead paper. The letter needs to include confirmation that the sponsor has an account with the financial institution and there is at least $20,150 available in U.S. dollars. While all efforts are made to present accurate information, changes in tuition and fees may be made without notice. Please note: the American Embassy or Consulate will require another set of original financial documents.

Step 5

Provide a photocopy of the visa page in your passport.

If applying for a school transfer within the United States, the following requirements are required:

  • A photocopy of the I-94 card in your passport.
  • A photocopy of the visa page in your passport.
  • Official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities (if applicable) must be mailed directly from the college/university attended directly to SMCC International Education Programs.
  • A photocopy of ALL prior I-20s.
  • A completed Transfer Eligibility Form by the student and the current Designated School Official (DSO) at the current school.

Where to Send Documentations?

Please send all required documents to:

South Mountain Community College

International Education Programs

7050 South 24th Street

Phoenix, Arizona 85042


If you are accepted to South Mountain Community College, a letter of acceptance will be mailed to you, along with your SEVIS I-20 form and other important information.

Students Under 18 Years Old

South Mountain Community College recommends that students who are under the age of 18 (minors) have a guardian in the United States. In the event of personal emergency, accident, illness, incarceration, etc., the State of Arizona will require the signature of a guardian before assistance such as hospitalization, legal counsel, etc., can be offered. South Mountain Community College is not permitted to act in the place of the parent or guardian.

Additional Information & Definitions

Official Transcript: These transcripts should show your classes, credits, the grades you received, and your graduation dates in order to be complete.

Translation Services: For more information on translation services please contact the Registration & Records office and ask to speak to the International Admissions Assistant. Also note that the U.S. Embassy in your country may be able to refer you to a certified translator near you.

International academic records/credentials are not evaluated in-house at this time.  Students wishing to have their international academic records/credentials evaluated must contact an approved professional evaluation agency and request an official evaluation from them.  (Note: The professional evaluation must be sent directly to SMCC from the approved professional evaluation agency. The evaluation must be dated within the current year and done for the purpose of education. It must also include a course-by-course evaluation of the coursework.) For information regarding which professional evaluation agencies are acceptable, please call 602.243.8305.

Cost of Academic Year

The table below is an estimate of the cost of one academic year:

Out-of-state tuition and fees


Textbooks and supplies


Living expenses (off campus)


Health insurance