Search South Mountain Community College Website
SMCC Cougar facebook South Mountain Community College twitter SMCC youtube Videos

Determining Residency and Lawful Status

Student Declaration Channel Image

Residency and Citizenship or Lawful Status, and Compliance at South Mountain Community College

If you are new to SMCC and the Maricopa County Community College District, establishing residency and citizenship or lawful status is vital because tuition rates vary according to residency classification.

All new students are considered out-of-state until proof of residency and citizenship or lawful status is established. This can be done online or in person with the Enrollment Services Office.

The student bears full responsibility to establish his/her residency and citizenship or lawful status prior to registration, and register under the correct status. Documentation received after the start of the term will be used for residency determination in subsequent terms.

Proof of residency and citizenship or lawful status must be verified with each Maricopa Community College.

For the Maricopa Community Colleges, tuition is based on three residency classifications. The following categories were determined in accordance with state law (ARS 15-1801,15-1802,15-1802.01,15-1803) and regulations of the Maricopa Community Colleges Governing Board (AR 2.2):

  1. Maricopa County Resident—an individual who has lived in Maricopa County for 50 days AND lived in the State of Arizona for at least one year prior to semester start who is also a U.S. Citizen or in a lawful status.
  2. Out-of-County Resident—an individual who does not live in Maricopa County or has not lived in Maricopa County for 50 days prior to the start of the semester, BUT has lived in any other county in Arizona except Apache or Greenlee AND in the State of Arizona for at least one year prior to semester start, who is also a U.S. Citizen or in a lawful status. NOTE: According to ARS §15-1469, if the County Superintendent of Schools certifies that you are a resident of a county in Arizona which is not a part of an established community college district, Apache or Greenlee counties will pay the tuition for you to attend one of the state community colleges. You must complete and submit the Arizona Out-of-County Residence Affidavit form, available from the SMCC Student Enrollment Services Office.
  3. Out-of-State Resident (including F-1 non-immigrant students)—any individual who has not lived in the State of Arizona for at least one year prior to semester start or who is not eligible to establish residency.

Tuition rates vary based on your residency status and the number of credit hours you register for.

Maricopa County Resident Non-Resident Living in Arizona Non-Resident eLearning Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Senior Rate (Age 65+)
Per Credit Hour $85 $326 $214 $128 $42.5

Additional Fees Please note that there is also a $15 Registration fee per semester, which is due by the start of the semester. Some classes have additional fees that will add to your tuition costs. Should you choose to audit a class, an additional $25 will be added per credit hour. For the most up to date list of tuition rates, please review the District Tuition Cost Chart.

There are three convenient ways to submit your Lawful Presence and Identity information for determining residency to South Mountain Community College:

1.  Upload your documents:

Log on to MCCCD’s Dynamic Forms website with your MEID and password. As long as documents are received in full color, completely legible, and all four corners are visible, we will be able to process your documents to determine your identity, lawful presence status, and residency. Domicile Affidavits and any forms not listed here will not be accepted or processed via Dynamic Forms.

2. Bring forms in person to the SMCC Enrollment Services Office.

3. Mail the Declaration of Citizenship form and full color copy of your Identification to:

South Mountain Community College
Attn: Enrollment Services
7050 S. 24th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85042-5806

For additional information, visit or call 602.243.8123.