Administrtion of Justice
Do you love to watch television shows such as Law & Order, Criminal Minds, CSI, The First 48, Scandal, or Suits? Would you know what to do if you were stopped by the police? Do you know your constitutional rights and civil liberties as a U.S. Citizen? So what do these things have in common? They all fall under the field of Administration of Justice. Law and Order is an important part of our society, and these careers can be very rewarding and will always exist. In fact, the careers housed in this system, are some of the most rapidly growing professions in the United States.
The Administration of Justice Program at SMCC provides students with a comprehensive study of the three major components of the criminal justice system; law enforcement, courts and corrections, and other related criminal justice fields along with technical occupations.
Our classes are held in a courtroom setting, and we have guest speakers from various areas in the profession come to the classroom and engage with our students. As well as instructors who are practitioners in the field.
This program provides students with the knowledge and first-hand experience needed to obtain career opportunities and/or prepare for continued academic success at a university. Students are taught the criminal justice process from arrest to post-incarceration, rules of evidence, procedural criminal law, constitutional law, juvenile justice procedures, courtroom protocol, and community relations.
DEGREE & CERTIFICATE
- Administration of Justice
- Legal Studies
AAS – Administration of Justice – The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Administration of Justice degree is designed to prepare students for careers in the fields of law enforcement, probation, parole, security, courts, corrections and related justice fields along with related technical occupations.
CCL – Administration of Justice – The skills and knowledge earned through these certificates, will allow the student to quickly begin an occupational career or improve your skills on your current job, which could lead to opportunities for promotion and advancement.
EMPLOYMENT OUTLOOK & SALARIES
- Police Officers and Sheriffs – $61,600
- Court Clerk – $32,920
- Paralegal/Legal Assistant – $49,500
- Detective/CSI – $78,120 (median per year)
- Private Investigator – $48,190 (median per year)
- Forensic Science Technicians – $56,750 (median per year)
- Corrections Officers and Jailers – $42,820 (median per year)
- Probation Officer – $50,160 (median per year)
*Source data: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/
For additional information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, wage and employment trend information.
What Our Students are Saying About Their Experience and Instructors
- “This class is very uplifting and I’m always excited to come in”
- “Yes, She is very educated on this course and I know that’s important when teaching”v
- “Yes, she answers our questions with great detail & makes sure we understand it”
- “She makes sure you understand the concepts she’s teaching and makes sure your learning”
- “Yes, she is amazing”
- “She reminds us about all our assignments and goes step by step to do them. She doesn’t make you feel dumb”
- “She gives us all the tools we need to be successful and she does this very clearly”
- “If you put the effort in, you will be successful”
- “Good lectures”
- “She is very clear definitely knows exactly what she is talking about and no better person for the job in my opinion”
- “What I like most about her teaching style is that she always has an example for everything; relates to the real world”
- “I like everything about her and her style. She is passionate about what she does”
- “She is very enthusiastic about the subject”
- “Her passion”
- “Very interactive”
- “She’s hands-on and actually involved!!! Love it!”
- “Definitely because she is very nice and shows us that she wants us to be successful. She shows us how much she really loves her job and what she does”
- “Yes, because she’s Great!”
- “Yes, because she makes learning interesting and makes me want to learn about the topic that was learning”
- “Yes, b/c she’s not like any other instructor who wants to teach us 7 also b/c it’s a fun class and I enjoy coming”
- “Yes, this is my favorite class of all time. I feel I belong here and she provides more than what I need”