Counseling & Academic Support
Learning How to Live
Change, stress and self-development are all a part of college life. But when it gets to be too much, where can you turn?
The SMCC Counseling Center offers free and confidential services to help students overcome problems, past or present, and gain self-understanding and direction. These services include individual and group counseling, educational programs, consultations, and referral.
As an individual, you may have concerns involving a wide variety of life situations. Our SMCC counselors are available to assist you. We can provide the tools you need to overcome doubt and deal with stress.
Counseling is completely confidential and voluntary, and you may select the counselor of your choice. Spanish-speaking counselors are also available.
The philosophy and mission of the SMCC Counseling Department is to guide and support individuals in achieving their educational, career, and life goals. It is based on the belief that success and growth of all individuals, especially all students at SMCC, depends on:
- The development of positive self-esteem;
- Awareness of internal and external resources available to cope with personal and academic challenges and opportunities;
- The ability, opportunity, and willingness to use these resources appropriately in a timely and effective manner; and
- Respectful communication and relationships with other individuals.
We are available for counseling on individual, personal, career, and academic success topics.
- Individual short-term personal, career and crisis counseling.
- Counseling and Personal Development (CPD) classes, workshops, and interdisciplinary classroom presentations that focus on personal, education, career, and social development.
- Consultation for faculty and staff in areas of personal and interpersonal, academic, classroom management, and job-related support.
- Interpersonal skill development for professionals and paraprofessionals in the community.
- Life coaching and decision making.
We can help you with:
- Making good decisions
- Setting goals
- Managing your time
- Understanding self and others
- Choosing a career field
- Reducing test anxiety
- Managing stress
- Asserting yourself
- Developing self-confidence
- Improving self-esteem
- Coping with depression
- Coping with personal loss
- Clarifying your needs, interests and abilities
- Improving relationships in your life
- Adjusting to new life situations
- Overcoming academic and personal obstacles
- Interpreting career, personality and learning style assessments
We are available to conduct workshops to your class in the following subject areas:
- Stress Management
- Time Management
- Study Skills
- Preparing for Finals
- Strengths-Based Strategies to Succeed in College, Careers, and Life
- Communication Skills
- Talking to Your Instructors;
- Assertiveness Skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Decision Making
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Diversity Issues/Awareness
- Diversity Awareness
- Strengths-Based Strategies to Success and Communication
- Pro-Social and Bystander Behaviors
- Personal Risk Management
Please call 602.872.7763 to schedule any type of classroom presentation.