The study of English is about much more than reading and writing; it’s a doorway into a realm of career opportunity and creative expression that lasts a lifetime.
SMCC’s English program is an ideal major for careers that require skills in critical thinking, reading, and communication. Many businesses and professional schools prefer the well-rounded training that the program provides.
A study of English can provide a foundation for careers in virtually every field.
- Creative Writer
- Technical Writer
- Media Research Associate
- Executive Assistant
- Magazine Editor
- A major in English can be good preparation for continued graduate or professional training in areas such as English, law, political science/government, public administration, psychology, counseling, communications, and religious studies (i.e., seminary).
- Develop a specialty area of interest via additional coursework and/or work experience for greater marketability within that specific career field.
- Save samples of written work to be used for a portfolio.
- Be prepared to be proactive, determined, assertive, and confident in order to secure freelance writing opportunities. Writers typically experience many rejections for each piece that is accepted for publication.
- Cultivate other career opportunities in order to supplement a freelance writing income.
- Obtain additional areas of expertise such as journalism, broadcasting, technical writing, or politics for specialized positions.
- For careers in advertising or public relations be prepared to begin in an entry-level position.
- A bachelor’s degree in English is sufficient for many entry level positions in business and industry.
- Appropriate teacher certification is required for public school teaching.
- A graduate degree is required for teaching at the college or university level.