CELSA (Combined English Language Skills Assessment ) is a 45-minute test consisting of 75 multiple choice questions. It is designed to place ESL (English as a Second Language) adult students in the appropriate ESL classes. The entire CELSA assessment process takes approximately 1 ½ hours.
CELSA Testing is administered at the following:
Technology Center, TC 243
South Mountain Community College
7050 South 24th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85042
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
CELSA Schedule and Testing Instructions
The CELSA is scheduled and given in block testing as follows:
CELSA schedule is subject to change without notice.
Testing Center is closed on holidays, winter and spring break and on Fridays during the summer.
Students must have a College Student ID Number for taking the CELSA.
Students must show a Valid Photo ID before taking the CELSA.
Directions for the CELSA must be given in English without the assistance of interpretation.
- On testing day, students must provide current photo identification.
- On testing day, students must also provide their 8 digit Maricopa student ID number.
- Breaks are not allowed during testing. If you leave, you will not be allowed to resume testing.
- Talking with other students is not allowed in the testing room.
- Children are not allowed in the Testing Center and may not be left unattended outside of the Testing Center.
- Testing Services does not accept or collect homework, tutoring logs or notes.
Unapproved items must be stored in Testing Center lockers or outside of the Testing Center.
Students are responsible for their personal possessions.
Unapproved items include the following:
- All electronic devices, including cell phones, calculators, and watches.
- All listening, communication, copying and photographic devices or laptops.
- Dictionaries, books, pamphlets or reference materials, textbooks, notes.
- Food and beverages, including water bottles, beverages; nicotine products.
- Head-coverings (unless worn as a religious requirement).
- Book-bags, purses, handbags or luggage; skateboards, and sunglasses.
- Any other unauthorized testing aids.
If you are discovered using unauthorized items or testing aids, displaying inappropriate behavior, or using inappropriate language, the staff will stop your testing session and the incident will be reported to your instructor and/or the appropriate official.