During testing, keep these suggestions in mind:
- Always make sure your first name and last name are on hard-copy tests.
- Read each question carefully so that you are sure of what is being asked of you.
- Try to complete the problems that have the greatest point values first.
- Don’t give up. If you do not know an answer, skip it and come back to it later.
- Never leave a question blank—guess if you do not know, you might guess correctly.
- If you do guess, go with your first answer. Don’t second-guess yourself.
- When using a Scantron, be sure that your answers are in the correct box on the card.
- Write legibly. If your instructor can’t read your writing, it will likely be marked wrong.
- Three short paragraphs of organized essay are better than random ideas filling a page.
- Show your work—you might be able to get partial credit for what you did do correctly.
- If you finish early, check your test to be sure you have completed all of the questions.
- Considering a “short cut”? Spend whatever effort you might use to cheat on doing the best job you can honestly!
SMCC students who are having difficulties learning course material should meet with their Tutors for supplemental classroom instruction at the Learning Center.