The SMCC Athletic Department has initiated programs to encourage the athletes’ use of college services such as the Learning Resource Center, Counseling and Financial Aid.
These programs include a student orientation, an academic tracking system, and the enforcement of academic standards required for eligibility for financial assistance — standards which are higher than the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). Each semester the program is assessed by comparing the academic progress of athletes with that of the student body.
Over the years, students athletes have consistently earned a higher grade point average than the general student body, while demonstrating a high average of completing degree and certificate programs. In the past three years, student athletes have achieved an 80% to 85% completion rate of hours attempted.
The Athletic Department is committed to the following objectives and/or functions to assist the student:
- improve physical conditioning and recognize its impact on cognitive, affective and motor skill processes.
- develop an interest and appreciation for physical activity for lifelong pursuits of physical development.
- develop a positive self-image and self-concept through teamwork and dedication to common goal or individual achievement.
- define, organize and clarify a personal system of values, which are in harmony with an accepted code of ethics.
- integrate physical development and scholastic achievement through the educational tracking program.
- identify individual physical parameters in physical development with acceptance and recognition of various levels of ability.
- foster skills that deal effectively with competitive situations both on and off the athletic field.
- certify eligibility of athletes with the assistance of the admissions and records office.