Maricopa Emergency Management System Alert

  CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE: Face coverings are encouraged inside all South Mountain Community College buildings, including the SMC Library.

Education and Training GI Bill ® Benefit Chapters

  • Eligible Service members may receive up to 36 months of education benefits. The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 buy-up program. You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be fewer or more years depending on the situation. VA pays the veteran a monthly stipend. Must submit a monthly certification of attendance.
  • For more information:

You may receive vocational rehabilitation and employment services to help with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job-seeking skills coaching. Other services may be provided to assist veterans in starting their own business or independent living services for those who are severely disabled and unable to work in traditional employment.

To be eligible, service members must:

  • Expect to receive an honorable discharge upon separation from active duty
  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services
  • Obtain a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA

For more information:

Eligibility may be established using active duty service performed on or after 9-11-01. You may apply online by visiting

Please be advised: The Veterans Center will require a copy of the Certificate Of Eligibility (COE), JST's, and transcripts from all previously attended schools.

All Post 9/11 GI Bill® recipients registering for classes MUST complete a VA deferment (promissory note) at our office every semester. This is important so that your classes will not be dropped on the tuition and fee payment due dates.

For more information:

  • Eligibility to transfer benefits to a spouse or dependents is based on length of service and retirement eligibility date. Only active service persons can transfer entitlement.
  • Transferring benefits is a two-step process:
  • The service member must apply with the Department of Defense for approval to transfer the benefits when on active duty service.
  • Once DoD approval is received, the spouse or child applies through VONAPP at to complete the transfer.
  • For more information:
  • The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) pays eligible dependents up to 36 months of the full, 100% level, Post-9/11 GI BILL® benefit. This includes tuition and fee payment, a monthly housing allowance, and a books and supplies stipend. The Fry Scholarship is available for children and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.
  • For more information:
  • Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 36 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.<\p>
  • If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit.
  • For more information:
  • REAP provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or Congress. VA pays a monthly stipend based on the length of active duty service. Must submit a monthly certification of attendance.
  • For more information:
  • This is a tax-free employment program through the VA. You must be enrolled at least ¾ time and be receiving VA educational benefits. Please inquire directly with Veterans Services if you are interested in participating in the work-study program. Please have an updated resume in hand.
  • Contact Veterans Services with any questions: 602-872-7730 or

South Mountain Community College Veterans Services does not determine a veteran’s eligibility for benefits. The office will assist in the completion of applications and communication of veteran student enrollment to the VA for the purposes of certification and receipt of benefits. For more information regarding individual eligibility for these and other educational benefits, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Processing Center at 888-442-4551 or visit online

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site.