English as a Second Language (ESL)
Welcome, English language learners!
If your primary language is not English, we can help!
Students in our English as a Second Language Program learn English for many reasons: employment, assisting their children, and continuing their education in the degree programs at SMCC.
- If you have taken an English proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, CELSA, or CEFR) in the past two years, use this Placement Chart (page 3) to determine the best class for your current level of English proficiency.
- No placement test? No problem. Sign up to take the CELSA exam to determine your current level of English proficiency.
- Go to Find a Class to enroll!
Why study English at South Mountain Community College?
The English as a Second Language Program at SMCC offers classes designed with:
- Small class sizes featuring low student/instructor ratios
- Quality, industry-relevant instruction offered by experienced instructors
- A welcoming experience for all writing skill levels and interests
- Evening, daytime, and summer courses available, offered to meet a variety of scheduling needs
Experiential Learning Opportunities
- Special Events designed to provide students opportunities to share their ideas with the community
- International Education Community
The ESL Program
The English as a Second Language Program at SMCC consists of four levels.
- Basic Beginner (Level One)
- Early Intermediate (Level Two)
- Intermediate (Level Three)
- Advanced (Level Four)
Students take the diagnostic CELSA exam to determine their correct level of English.
ESL classes are 14 weeks long and prepare students to advance to the next level.
Each level offers skill-based classes in:
- Listening and Speaking
- Writing (Writing with Oral Practice)
- ESL Reading
- Vocabulary building: students can chose: Grammar (Level I), Spelling (Level II), Vocabulary (Level II)
- Students can also enroll in Pronunciation Improvement 051 and Conversation 061.
Students will gain knowledge and experience and be ready to adapt to changes in today's world!