Enrollment Steps vDO
There are four steps to Maricopa Community Colleges' enrollment process:
To get admitted, please do the following:
- If you are planning on pursuing a degree or certificate, explore the options available to you.
Please note: Not all degrees and certificates are offered at every college.
- Complete the admissions application. If you have applied in the past or taken classes, please use the Returning Student Application. Select South Mountain Community College and the degree or certificate you plan to pursue when completing the application. If you are not pursuing a certificate or degree and taking classes, you will only choose SMCC.
- Provide proof of identification during the online application process. If you are unable to provide your ID via the admissions application, you can also submit it here once you have submitted your application.
- Submit your official transcripts for any previous college coursework to our Admissions, Records, and Registration Office.
- Determine how you plan to pay for college. Explore paying for college and understand your deadlines.
- If you will be paying for college using Federal Financial Aid, start the process.
Please note: If you started your application more than 48 hours ago, you will need to start a new application.
As you complete step one, we recommend you write down the following information on your Enrollment Steps guide:
- Student ID number
- Maricopa email address
Important reminder: Your Maricopa student email at google.maricopa.edu will be active as soon as you are admitted to a college.
Complete Tasks in Student Center
After you successfully get admitted, you may have additional tasks to complete. To view your tasks, log in to your Student Center.
If you are new to college, you may have tasks in your Student Center to determine course placement or attend a Cougar Kickstart Orientation and seek initial academic advising.
If you need to take a Cougar Kickstart Orientation or Initial Academic Advisement, you need to do so prior to enrolling in your next semester.
South Mountain Community College offers multiple ways to identify the proper courses for your success. To get started with this step, visit Assessment and Placement to find out how to submit placement documents or take online placement assessments.
If you have taken college-level English, math, or reading courses at a previous college or university, ensure your official transcripts have been sent to your college of interest. You may not need to determine placement based on your previous coursework.
Set Up Initial Academic Advising & Cougar Kickstart Orientation
If you are new to college, you will need to attend a Cougar Kickstart Orientation session within your first semester.
Register for Classes
If you know the classes you need to take, then do the following:
- Use Find a Class to search for your classes and select “Open Classes Only.”
- Keep track of your courses’ section numbers for adding classes.
- In your Student Center, click on the Manage Classes tile.
- Use Class Search and Enroll to get registered.
If you don’t know the classes you need to take, do one of the following:
Then, follow the steps to register for classes.
Once you have registered for your classes, you will be able to view your tuition rate classification in the Student Center. The tuition rate is determined by the submission of your ID and other supporting documents. For more information, go to Residency Information.
Make Payment Arrangements
After you have registered for classes, you are almost ready for the semester. The next step is to secure your classes by making a plan to pay your tuition by the semester due date. There are multiple ways to pay for college.
- Self-pay/Payment plan
- Financial aid
- Military and veterans education benefits
- Third-party authorization
To check the due date of your tuition and fees, go to your Online Student Center.