Residency and Citizenship
Residency and Citizenship or Lawful Status, and Compliance at South Mountain Community College
If you are new to SMCC and the Maricopa County Community College District, establishing residency and citizenship or lawful status is vital because tuition rates vary according to residency classification.
All new students are considered out-of-state until proof of residency and citizenship or lawful status is established. This can be done online or in person with the Enrollment Services Office.
The student bears full responsibility to establish his/her residency and citizenship or lawful status prior to registration, and register under the correct status. Documentation received after the start of the term will be used for residency determination in subsequent terms.
Proof of residency and citizenship or lawful status must be verified with each Maricopa Community College.
For the Maricopa Community Colleges, tuition is based on three residency classifications. The following categories were determined in accordance with state law (ARS 15-1801,15-1802,15-1802.01,15-1803) and regulations of the Maricopa Community Colleges Governing Board (AR 2.2):
- Maricopa County Resident—an individual who lives in Maricopa County and has lived in the state of Arizona for at least one year prior (365 days) to the first day of the semester (as published in the approved MCCCD Academic Calendar posted online at ACADEMIC CALENDARS) and who is a United States citizen or in a lawful status. In-state residency must be established prior to county residency for those moving from other states. Refer to AR 220.127.116.11 Section C for guidelines.
- Out-of-County Resident—an individual who does not live in Maricopa County or has not lived in Maricopa County for 50 days prior to the start of the semester, BUT has lived in any other county in Arizona except Apache or Greenlee AND in the State of Arizona for at least one year prior to semester start, who is also a U.S. Citizen or in a lawful status.
NOTE: According to ARS §15-1469, if the County Superintendent of Schools certifies that you are a resident of a county in Arizona which is not a part of an established community college district, Apache or Greenlee counties will pay the tuition for you to attend one of the state community colleges. You must complete and submit the Arizona Out-of-County Residence Affidavit form, available from the SMCC Student Enrollment Services Office.
- Out-of-State Resident (including F-1 non-immigrant students)—any individual who has not lived in the State of Arizona for at least one year prior to semester start or who is not eligible to establish residency.
Tuition rates vary based on your residency status and the number of credit hours you register for.
- Maricopa County Resident: $85/credit hr
- Non-Resident Living in Arizona: $326/credit hr
- Non-Resident E-Learning: $214/credit hr
- Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE): $128/credit hr
- Senior Rate: $42.5/credit hr
Additional Fees Please note that there is also a $15 Registration fee per semester, which is due by the start of the semester. Some classes have additional fees that will add to your tuition costs. Should you choose to audit a class, an additional $25 will be added per credit hour. For the most up to date list of tuition rates, please review the District Tuition Cost Chart.
Please visit the Maricopa County Community College District webpage for complete information and resources.
How to Submit Documentation
There are three convenient ways to submit your Lawful Presence and Identity information for determining residency to South Mountain Community College:
- Upload your documents:
- Log on to MCCCD’s Dynamic Forms website with your MEID and password. As long as documents are received in full color, completely legible, and all four corners are visible, we will be able to process your documents to determine your identity, lawful presence status, and residency. Domicile Affidavits and any forms not listed here will not be accepted or processed via Dynamic Forms.
- Bring forms in person to the SMCC Enrollment Services Office.
- Mail the Declaration of Citizenship form and full color copy of your Identification to:
South Mountain Community College
Attn: Enrollment Services
7050 S. 24th St.
Phoenix, AZ 85042-5806
For additional information, visit www.maricopa.edu or call 602-243-8123.
In order to assist you best, please send any email correspondence from your MEID@maricopa.edu email address.