In addition to academic programs, the Counseling Division provides free assistance for students with life skills, career planning, and crisis intervention. Counseling faculty are available to support and empower students in achieving their goals, and to support their academic, professional, and personal well-being.
Counseling is available at no charge to all students enrolled at South Mountain Community College. Counselors are also available for faculty and staff consultation.
- Counseling faculty maintain student privacy as outlined by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) guidelines, and, like other college representatives, may release information as permitted by FERPA or in circumstances involving the safety of students or others. Counseling faculty are mandated by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 to report knowledge of gender-based or sexual discrimination that involves MCCCD students or employees, including sexual harassment or sexual violence that creates a hostile environment on campus.
- Counseling is also available via telephone or online video conferencing. Information transmitted over email may not be secure, and information transmitted between the counseling faculty member and the client during online counseling is not encrypted.
Academic advising is for students who need assistance with academic information or help developing an educational plan and course of study. Counseling is for students who need help with personal, educational, or occupational skills. Counseling faculty can assist in developing better study skills, manage stress, respond to crises, set goals, and provide resources for further assistance with mental health issues. For more information on academic advising, click here.
Immediate Crisis Support:
- Maricopa County Crisis Line - 602-222-9444
- Local Teen Hotline - 602-248-8336
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline - 800-273-8255 or Text HOME to 741741
- 211 Arizona - 2-1-1 within Arizona, or 877-211-8661
Low Cost Mental Health Resources:
William (Bill) Beverly
Director of Behavioral Health Sciences
Counseling & Personal Development Coordinator
Student Services Building