The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Instructional Assistance program is designed to prepare students to assist the classroom teacher in grades K through 12. Program requirements include coursework in foundations of education and language as well as practical application coursework, including a practicum within a classroom setting.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Implement developmentally and culturally appropriate instructional strategies and materials.
- Accommodate field-sensitive and field independent styles of teaching and learning.
- Explain the basic philosophical premises of first and second language acquisition as well as the role of culture in learning.
- Participate in K-12 classroom field experiences as an assistant to the teacher.
- Include multicultural literature in instruction to increase cultural awareness and sensitivity.
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|CFS176 or |
|Child Development or Child Development||RC||3|
|EDU220||Introduction to Serving English Language Learners (ELL)||RC||3|
|EDU221||Introduction to Education||RC||3|
|EDU291 or |
|Children's Literature or Children's Literature||RC||3|
|EDU222||Introduction to the Exceptional Learner||RC||3|
|EDU230||Cultural Diversity In Education||RC||3|
|BPC110 or |
|Computer Usage and Applications or Survey of Computer Information Systems||RE||3|
|EDU292 or |
|The Art of Storytelling or The Art of Storytelling or The Art of Storytelling||RE||3|
|ECH298 or |
|ECH298 or Special Projects||No requisites or Prerequisites: Permission of Program Director or Instructor.||RE||3|
|ENG101 or |
|First-Year Composition or First-Year Composition for ESL||Prerequisites: Appropriate writing placement or a grade of C or better in ENG091 or ESL097. or Prerequisites: Appropriate writing placement, or a grade of C or better in ENG091 or ESL097.||RE||3|
|Any foreign language course||RE|
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Certificate of Completion in Instructional Assistance (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=92540).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.