What Is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound is a FREE program funded by the U.S. Department of Education that offers academic, personal and social support to high school students through their entrance into postsecondary education. Upward Bound is a motivational and academically based program assisting students with high school graduation, and preparing students for enrollment and completion of postsecondary education.
Benefits Of Upward Bound?
With this program, students will receive amazing support and opportunities that will greatly increase their success in high school, as well as in post-secondary education. Upward Bound participants are able to:
- Improve academic skills by attending classes in math, science, English, foreign language, and study skills every other Saturday during the school year (Saturday Academies) and the 6-week summer program at South Mountain Community College
- Participate in one-on-one mentoring with an academic/career advisor
- Attend career exploration and personal enrichment workshops
- Benefit from counseling services
- Participate in fun cultural, social, career, and college-oriented field trips
- Receive weekly after-school tutoring and lunch time mentoring sessions
- Receive stipends (get paid) during the academic year (up to $40 per month)
- Participate in our Summer Residential Program at Northern Arizona University
- Receive high school graduation advisement
- Assistance with college entrance requirements
- Become informed of financial aid and scholarship opportunities
- Meet new friends & have fun!
Who Can Participate?
- Students attending Central High School or South Mountain High School
- Demonstrate a need for academic support in high school and has the potential for academic success in postsecondary education
- Must be a first-generation college student (parent/guardian has not attained a four-year college degree), and/or
- Meet low income requirements (defined by the federal government standards)
- Be between the ages of 13-19
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States