Writing Center Operations
Monday - Thursday 8am - 8pm (closed Friday - Sunday)
Email email@example.com and a tutor will get back to you right away .
Steps to Get Tutoring:
- Using your SMCC student email, send an email to the Writing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In your email, indicate the day and time you would like to work with a tutor and whether you would like to use Google Hangouts Meet for video or voice chat, or Google Docs for collaborative review.
Note: Google Docs can only be used in a live session. We do not accept drop off documents for editing.
- If the time you requested is available, you will get a reply with instructions/ link to join the meeting.
- If your requested time is not available, you will receive a reply indicating the next available time. Once confirmed, you will receive an email with a link to join at that time.
- Sessions will be set for 15 minutes at a time. If after 15 minutes you would like more time, and there are no appointments waiting, the session can be continued for another 15 minutes.
Guidelines for Students:
- Have the assignment instructions and/or syllabus at the top of your page, ready to screen share.
- Identify in advance the top 2 areas you want to work on during your session.
- Set aside enough time -Tutoring sessions are 15 minutes, so it may take more than one session to work on an assignment.
- If you are suing GoogleMeets, make sure you are in a quiet place, with a working microphone, appropriately dressed with all the materials you need and with no interruptions anticipated.
- Keep the conversation focused on your assignment
What we can assist with: Homework, Exam preparation, Essays, Lab reports, Personal statements, Scholarship applications, Resumes, Reading comprehension, Language learning, Outlining, Proofreading, Presentations, Canvas
What we do not assist with: Exams/Quizzes, non-SMCC homework, legal/personal assistance
The South Mountain Community College Writing Center offers free tutoring to all enrolled students who need help with their writing in any SMCC course.
We provide academic support to students and faculty, both inside and outside the classroom.
For students, our experienced tutors offer one-on-one assistance. You’ll get a chance to share work in progress, and make revisions as you collaborate with your tutor.
For faculty, our staff will come to your classes to introduce the Writing Center to your students. We can also create a workshop specific to your needs.
The Writing Center can help you with a variety of topics, including:
- Generating ideas
Use the links on this page to access other sites and activities that will help your writing.
However, one-on-one help is best. Make an appointment with one of our experienced tutors today!
Explore the Writing Center